Rotary is an organization of businesspeople from different professions in the community with a common interest: the willingness to understand people and to help others. Rotary was founded in 1905 in Chicago by businessman (and University of Iowa graduate) Paul Harris. His vision started what is now Rotary International, a worldwide organization of business and professional leaders that provides humanitarian services, encourages high ethical standards in all vocations, and helps build goodwill and peace in the world. About 1.2 million Rotarians belong to more than 34,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas.
The Bettendorf Rotary Club was chartered on May 22, 1957. Now, with close to 100 members, the club lives the Rotary motto-"Service Above Self”-by funding and participating in projects locally, nationally and internationally, including:
- Title Sponsor of the Run With Carl each Labor Day
- Distributing dictionaries to all Bettendorf/Pleasant Valley fourth graders
- Building 100 latrines in a rural village in Nicaragua
- Distributing Thanksgiving baskets and Christmas gifts to needy families
- Hurricane Katrina relief
- Worldwide Polio Eradication
- Defibrillator Donations for Emergency Aid
- Iowa Flood Relief Funds
- Help with Children’s Therapy
- Center Fundraising Events
- Help Military Families while active duty serviceperson is deployed
- Parkersburg Tornado Response
- Water purification projects
- Haiti Recovery Efforts
- Library Service Project volunteer efforts
- And, many more!
Bettendorf Rotary will NOT meet on Wednesday, November 25th, 2015.
Rotary will resume on
Wednesday, December 2, 2015
Noon at Tanglewood Hills Pavilion